Thursday, May 04, 2006

One -Off Day

Had a fulfilling day at Yio Chu Kang Secondary School yesterday. When I first set foot there in the morning, I was impressed by the “School of the Arts” plague at the front of the school, then there were the many colorful flags that caught my eye. And the national arts education award.. wow. .I was really excited to see students again after so long. And it was definitely enriching to get to see students in a drama class though I had created much commotion.. these students were really adorable, I have enjoyed talking to them, and I think I have grown less shy in approaching students and showing interest in their lives. Well, as chin ian was teaching, I made mental notes on how I could infuse these drama exercises in my classes next time. Yes, students are really the same almost everywhere.. they are as I have recognized, hungry for God’s love and I was praying last night for God to provide me with more opportunities to be with students and touch their lives with Christ’s love and I was really thankful that God blessed me with chances yesterday to share with them. But of course, one thing I brought home yesterday on the way back, looking at their photos in my handphone, is that I may never be able to see them again, and these are the people I can only love from afar. There was this girl Sukanti from 222, she took the initiative to chat with me when she came into the room and we started to chat. She told me how she was and why she did not like to join the class in activities and that she is a Christian. I felt that it was a strange encounter and very prompted to pray for her. I really wish that God will continue to convict her in her identity as a child of God and that she will have no fears in a class where there is antagonism and racism. Anyway, I left after a splendid lunch with the students, and good memories, to bible study at joon kiat’s place. Bible study was fantastic, there were dawn fung, serena, joon kiat, donna ong, karen, alex, vivian, warren and myself..an answered prayer where the people in the arts gather to study the word of God together. I am filled with thanks that I can see them for eternity. I love the way dawn led worship on her ukulele(okie, she calls it guitarlele, whatever), and how I was brought to a different kind of worship all together, and when we discussed the Word, there was synergy, spontaneity and yet tightened by reverence for God. I was hyper-excited, the extroverted me will just hug everyone and give thanks for them.. hah, but I didn’t in the end as I was just too flat out for gestures like that. But thank God I got to meet serena, and that she is well back with Christ again. She is nice, honest and sincere; I wish I get to know her better. Yes, I must hang out with these folks more often. But I am not sure when I will join them for bible study again. well .. right now, I really have got many things at hand, the props are shouting at me now… and that’s why I want to call this day the “One-Off Day”.. where I can only look at people, and love them from afar.. and may not cross paths with them anymore.

No comments: