Saturday, January 13, 2007

a little woman, a little me

after teaching this morning,

i spent the day with a book Evelina by Frances Burney today. Away from the harangues and maladies of life's noises, I am still 200 pages away from the last page. it was peaceful silence in my reading. just me and the book. the book and me. This remote romance novel is unabashedly rich with personalised sentiments, descriptive writings and witty dialogues. tensions are genteel and shews the bondage that the protagonist, Evelina, has, with social decorum.( i don't know why they "chuse" to spell things this way..) highly feminine in character, it is an appealing page-turner that chases an affirmation of traditional, gender-based social values and a rejection of the same in one dimension.

she is one woman drawn from nature.

i treated myself to a new dinner after reading for nearly 4 hours. portebello mushrooms with cheese. a little ham, a little orange juice. though a little charred, it smells like those you can find in Marche's. i am finally smiling with this little pat on my own shoulder.

i love being a little woman in my little house on this little one day.

"Nothing is so delicate as the reputation of a woman; it is at once the most beautiful and most brittle of all human things" (Evelina, 39)

No comments: