Friday, September 08, 2006

Singapore Biennale: When is the next Star-Spangled Night?

Alright, a little about SB (Singapore Biennale). I gave a bit of time for SB today and I am so happy I did. I must say that I am very much impressed by many of the works and the trip to the Old Supreme Court (they call City Hall) is superb. It is the first time I stepped into the courtrooms.. and in that tense atmosphere, I smelled the breath of each and every of the artwork. I cannot help but think that the whole SB stands on something spiritual. “BELIEF” as the theme of the event. Something spiritual is reverberating. The sites for the artworks.. Old Supreme Court and Tanglin Camp, rather sinister, and I bet many prayers were made before the places are converted into galleries. I love Christian Lucas’s video too, it questions the watering down of art in Christian churches today.. I felt the adrenalin today as I moved in the spaces of the artworks today. . ok, mary, I am not an art worshipper just because I got all the ‘accessories” ( I didn’t ask for them), but yes and yes, I felt like a SB fanatic one moment, an SB groupie kind of. Oh well, the ‘pigeon hole’ mentality is still etched in the minds of the curators.. one room one artist. Hey.

No comments: